Most Recent LWV-TSC Voter: July 2017
Link to Board Briefs: June 2017
2016 Kansas Legislative Reports:
Reports are now sent to members via email. Join LWV today and begin receiving current Legislative Reports!
City/County/State/Nat'l: Current Elected Officials Listings
The LWVUS Board announces a national study, "The Agriculture Update," focusing narrowly on:
- current technology issues in agriculture including genetically modified organisms (GMOs), herbicides, pesticides, sustainable farming, agriculture water pollution, aquifer depletion, antibiotics in livestock, and accurate food labeling; and
- current agriculture finance issues including consolidation in agriculture industries, crop subsidies and the federal agricultural regulatory process.
Study materials will be posted and/or linked from here as they become available.
Report on ICC from Lea Bellinger—
The Intergovernmental Cooperative Council is made up of school, local government, and community and business leaders. Its purpose is to facilitate sharing resources and knowledge between entities. The ICC meets for breakfast in the W.U. student union on the third Thursday of the month. In October, the meeting was a sharing of experiences with the Affordable Care Act. At the November meeting, Derek Voohris, Public Safety Broadband Outreach Coordinator with the Kansas Office of Emergency Communications presented information on FirstNet, a broadband network that is being developed under the direction of the Federal Government. This network will be available to all first responders, law enforcement, and all emergency personnel. It will parallel existing cell networks but will be separate from the current system. It will allow seamless communication in an emergency, across state lines and across agencies.
Board Briefs: June 13, 2017
June, LWV Board meeting, June 13, with 9 members present.
- Tuesday Topics attendance on June 6 was 43 members and 3 guests
- Reviewed a draft brochure regarding voting information for distribution to students and League members – will have 500 copies printed
- Discussed plans for the new member gathering to be held at the home of Don and Judy Moler on Tuesday, June 20 at 5:30 p.m.
- Work continues on the LWVTSC website
- Discussed what meetings should be covered by members of the Observer Corps
- Noted there will be no Tuesday Topics meeting on July 4
- Discussed the Books, Bags and Beyond fundraiser to be held at Don and Judy Moler’s home in September – Date TBA
- Reviewed the speakers and programs for Tuesday Topics meetings for 2017 and 2018
- LWVTSC Board meeting at noon on July 11 at the TSCPL
—Briefs submitted by Judy Seitz, LWV-TSC Secretary
LWVTSC VOTER Newsletters:
These files are PDF format. You must have Adobe Reader
to read them.
You can download Adobe Reader free from Adobe.