Most Recent LWV-TSC Voter: Mar. 2017
Link to Board Briefs: Feb. 2017
2016 Kansas Legislative Reports:
Reports are now sent to members via email. Join LWV today and begin receiving current Legislative Reports!
City/County/State/Nat'l: Current Elected Officials Listings
The LWVUS Board announces a national study, "The Agriculture Update," focusing narrowly on:
- current technology issues in agriculture including genetically modified organisms (GMOs), herbicides, pesticides, sustainable farming, agriculture water pollution, aquifer depletion, antibiotics in livestock, and accurate food labeling; and
- current agriculture finance issues including consolidation in agriculture industries, crop subsidies and the federal agricultural regulatory process.
Study materials will be posted and/or linked from here as they become available.
Report on ICC from Lea Bellinger—
The Intergovernmental Cooperative Council is made up of school, local government, and community and business leaders. Its purpose is to facilitate sharing resources and knowledge between entities. The ICC meets for breakfast in the W.U. student union on the third Thursday of the month. In October, the meeting was a sharing of experiences with the Affordable Care Act. At the November meeting, Derek Voohris, Public Safety Broadband Outreach Coordinator with the Kansas Office of Emergency Communications presented information on FirstNet, a broadband network that is being developed under the direction of the Federal Government. This network will be available to all first responders, law enforcement, and all emergency personnel. It will parallel existing cell networks but will be separate from the current system. It will allow seamless communication in an emergency, across state lines and across agencies.
Board Briefs: February 14, 2017
February 14, LWV Board meeting at the library, 9 board members were present.
- The Voter Services grant application to the LWVUS was approved. A laptop and projector for use in presentation to High School students has been purchased.
- Plans are underway for a new LWVTSC website. It is likely that online payments will be available.
- The board voted to change the timing of dues collection such that all members would pay dues at the same time, subject to membership approval. New members would pay a pro-rated amount for a partial year. Annual dues may go to $60 for individual, or $90 for family membership.
- The budget committee and audit committee are preparing for the annual meeting.
- Dennis Bosley reported for the nominating committee that the positions are filled, subject to approval of the membership at annual meeting.
Next board meeting will be Tuesday, March 14, at noon, TSCPL.
—Briefs submitted by Lea Billinger, LWV-TSC Secretary
LWVTSC VOTER Newsletters:
These files are PDF format. You must have Adobe Reader
to read them.
You can download Adobe Reader free from Adobe.