Most Recent LWV-TSC Voter: August 2017
Link to Board Briefs: Aug. 2017
2016 Kansas Legislative Reports:
Reports are now sent to members via email. Join LWV today and begin receiving current Legislative Reports!
City/County/State/Nat'l: Current Elected Officials Listings
The LWVUS Board announces a national study, "The Agriculture Update," focusing narrowly on:
- current technology issues in agriculture including genetically modified organisms (GMOs), herbicides, pesticides, sustainable farming, agriculture water pollution, aquifer depletion, antibiotics in livestock, and accurate food labeling; and
- current agriculture finance issues including consolidation in agriculture industries, crop subsidies and the federal agricultural regulatory process.
Study materials will be posted and/or linked from here as they become available.
Report on ICC from Lea Bellinger—
The Intergovernmental Cooperative Council is made up of school, local government, and community and business leaders. Its purpose is to facilitate sharing resources and knowledge between entities. The ICC meets for breakfast in the W.U. student union on the third Thursday of the month. In October, the meeting was a sharing of experiences with the Affordable Care Act. At the November meeting, Derek Voohris, Public Safety Broadband Outreach Coordinator with the Kansas Office of Emergency Communications presented information on FirstNet, a broadband network that is being developed under the direction of the Federal Government. This network will be available to all first responders, law enforcement, and all emergency personnel. It will parallel existing cell networks but will be separate from the current system. It will allow seamless communication in an emergency, across state lines and across agencies.
Board Briefs: Aug. 8, 2017
- There were 38 members and 2 guests in attendance at the August 1 Tuesday Topics.
- Work continues on the new League Website.
- 62 (sixty two) new voters have registered since the last meeting.
- There are five upcoming events which will provide the opportunity for people to register to vote.
- Have accepted an invitation to appear on the Red Couch Show on September 18.
The mayoral candidates, Michelle de La Lasla and Spencer Duncan will be answering questions on that.
- Discussed the Books, Bags and Beyond Fundraiser on September 19 at the home of Judy and Don Moler.
- Introduction and discussion on the Women's Century Project.
—Briefs submitted by Judy Seitz, LWV-TSC Secretary
LWVTSC VOTER Newsletters:
These files are PDF format. You must have Adobe Reader
to read them.
You can download Adobe Reader free from Adobe.